Monday, July 02, 2007

Recycling for chimps!

Today's big excitement: I made arrangements to collect the museum's toner & ink cartridges and donate them to Chimps Inc! Chimps Inc is a chimp sanctuary in Bend. I just read about them in the Oregonian today (they are embroiled in a lawsuit to keep two of their ape charges, who may or may not 'belong' to another chimp sanctuary in Texas), and I was so excited to learn that there was a sanctuary HERE, in Oregon! For about twenty minutes, I was all set to move to Bend so I could become a volunteer.

It's funny. Growing up, I was always afraid of chimpanzees. (This might be because of a horror movie with a murderous chimp.) My mother always disliked them, too. But lately, I have become very drawn to chimpanzees. For some reason, of all the creatures who have suffered at the hands of humans, chimpanzees now touch me the most deeply. In some ways, I feel so strongly about them that I really would pack up and move to Bend if I thought that was the best way I could help them. And I don't know. Maybe it would.

Why can't they live in Corvallis? Or someplace that's not the desert?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever seen Plant of the Apes? The _Original_ one? See how its all desert. Ah-ha she says as she puts together the clues.

And your stupid little word verification thing is evil, its like in kanji today...

--Jak

Kt said...

Yeah, Bend seems like a poor climate for chimps. But they might have trouble with the PDX damp...

I don't know much about it, but there's a place in Beaverton that does some sort of work with chimpanzee refuges. I don't think they have their own chimps, but I haven't found much information. The link is:
http://www.panafricanprimates.org/idaafrica.htm