Monday, November 24, 2008

History

I was just putting books on hold at the library for Fiona and I realized just how very innocent she is. I wante d to get information about presidents, because the idea is very nebulous and confusing for her, and because I think she should know a bit about them, and also, I want to share the momentousness of Obama's inauguration in January. And I realized that she would have no clue why it's so amazing and fantastic that this man could be elected by a majority of American citizens to lead us. She has no idea that 140 years ago, someone who looked like our future president could be bought and sold like toilet paper.

And the thought just sort of hit me hard. I know I'm tired and a little overwrought from a hard month's soul-scraping. But I'm sitting here, sniffling, just thinking about it.

I'm off to take a hot bath, letting my word count for the day stay at 2,000 words. And I'll leave you with this:

Our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

It just seems a little more true today than it did in history class. Blessed be, Mr. Lincoln. You've waited a long time to see another Illinois senator follow you into the White House.

No comments: