Thursday, April 02, 2009

Donation Request Letter

  • Reading: Writing Horror, edited by Mort Castle; The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, by H.P. Lovecraft
  • Writing/editing: --
  • Coffee units: 2 at 4:26 pm.
  • Noteworthy snacks: cheese-flavored rice cake with bean dip and Secret Aardvark Hot Sauce

Since I plan to stay up tonight watching Diary of the Dead, I thought I'd do a quick post this afternoon while my adorable daughter plays outside. One of my big goals for this spring's blogging is to talk more specificallly about my writing and reading projects. It goes without saying that I'm not really going to write anything today, because Romero and the margaritas have got me booked.

Last night, however, I enjoyed work on a donation letter for ZS. ZS is looking for raffle items for the raffle we're hosting during Zombie Prom, and one of my pals was feeling uncertain about his own writing skills. As I have seen his emails, I could understand. So I wrote a donation request letter, and while it did not rock, it was a nice change of pace. I feel like I've been focusing on my short fiction lately, and there's just a lot of pressure to get the language and the details just right all the time. It's like writing under a magnifying glass. Whew! It gets hot under there!

As for the reading today, it's been a mixed bag. Writing Horror is a compilation of advice from the Horror Writers Association, and so far, the advice hasn't been too thrilling. But there was a great list of recommended books, and I went ahead and put a bunch on hold at the library. The Case of CDW, however, is so far very good. It's the longest of Lovecraft's work, and I like it. So far.

Hey, what do y'all think of my Bridget-Jonesesque summary at the top of my post? I'm thinking about using it routinely.

No comments: