Saturday, December 26, 2009

Slice o'life!

Sometimes I dream of being a hit blogger--you know, a funny mom blogger like Dooce or a super-star food blogger like Susan of the Fatfree Vegan Kitchen, or an awesome writing blogger like Elizabeth Spann Craig at Mystery Writing is Murder. But honestly, I just don't have that kind of sense of humor, that much interest in food or that good of advice. I'm just another semi-employed mom trying to learn how to write spec fiction.

That doesn't mean I feel like I have to stop blogging. Blogs are fun. And honestly, the blogs I read on a regular basis (I have 40+ feeds I subscribe to for the fun of keeping tabs--and that doesn't count Martha's) aren't all about "valuable information." I know that's what the experts say drives readership, but I guess I'm not that kind of a reader. I want to read a blog that gives me an insight into the life of the person writing it.

I love Alexandra Sokoloff's blog. She talks seriously about writing and movies, but she shares fun and salacious details about her life, as well. I like Pyr Books' blog, which frequently includes funny moments from editor Lou Anders' real life. And best of all, I love reading all my friends, even the ones I only know from the Internet (that's you, Miriam, Christie & Helen!).

So I keep posting recipes and talking about my kid and babbling about what I write. And you know, that's enough for me, even if I only have ten or so readers. I know they're good ones! ;)

3 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Thanks for the mention, Winnie. And I wouldn't worry much about content--there are plenty of content blogs out there. I think you've hit the nail on the head: readers are interested in *people*. When we read books, it's the *characters* that people remember and like or dislike. I think blogs function the same way. I'm glad I discovered yours...

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your blog and will continue to read every post! I have fallen off the blogging bandwagon, so one of my resolutions for the new year is to blog at least once a week. I hope that will motivate me to blog more, but once a week is a good start.

Wendy Wagner; said...

If I could hug you guys, I would!