Friday, January 01, 2010

Expanding horizons

I have a confession to make. Even though I live with an artist, occasionally paint, have a membership at the local art museum and love speculative fiction, I do not like science fiction and fantasy art. There's nothing like a painting of a pegasus to make my stomach revolt, and frankly, highly air brushed visions of space suits don't get me too excited, either. But the other day I decided to push my limits (okay, and to get all nostalgic over favorite book covers), I got a book of Chesley award-winning art.

And it was fun.

Admittedly, the nostalgia factor helped quite a bit. There's nothing like seeing a painting and getting all excited because it was on the cover of one of your favorite books. But also, I remembered that I love to look at stars and space ships. I love Saturn! I love moons! I love Chesley Bonestell!

Anyway, looking at all those great images only made me more certain that 2010 was going to be a great year for SF. Hooray!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I'm an art fan, too, but aside from Starry Night can't think of any celestial themes that I've been wild about. These are some great covers, though--they do make me want to see more fantasy-related art. Thanks!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Wendy Wagner; said...

I know what you mean--typically I prefer turn-of-the-century (20th) art: O'Keefe,Picasso,Carr ... But Chesley's astronomy-art is surprisngly neat-o!