Friday, July 16, 2010

Easing off the metal

Now, normally, my writing work schedule is "Put the petal to the metal, dude!" But recent events are nudging me toward a slightly more break-a-licious sort of schedule. And by recent events, I mean that school got out and now I have a kid to entertain all the time. Anybody else think Japan's got the right idea with that year-round school business?

But seriously, I have found that my brain likes to cycle between inputting information, ideas and images and outputting literature. I'm probably lucky I've made it this long before the old noodle blew up on me.

Anyway, taking suggestions for summer books and movies. I'm looking for delicious science, art and historical stuff--nonfiction being the mental equivalent of pumpkin pie. That stuff puts bulk on, fast!

4 comments:

Sandra Wickham said...

Here's an idea for you, how about reading ALL the non-fiction and fiction in our Brighton Shock souvenir book? (if you haven't already) I haven't done that yet but I know there's some terrific stuff in there!!!

Christie said...

My favorite non-fiction is a) anything my Mary Roach, and b) anything by David Quammen. I highly recommend Quammen's The Song of the Dodo. It looks hefty but is a surprisingly easy (and yet mind-bending) read. And oh, the bio-based SF that will come out of it! (Hm. Maybe I need to go reread...)

Anonymous said...

I can vouch for anything by Quammen. Many of his books are collections of his essays for various magazines. Although I love Song of the Dodo, it is incredibly lenghtly. The collections are nice b/c you can pick and choose various essays, fit them in to your busy schedule, etc.

Wendy Wagner; said...

These are great ideas, guys! You are the best. :)