Thursday, September 13, 2012

Nostalgia requires assistance

When I was eight years old, my family decided it was time for me to begin learning to cook. I'm really surprised they waited that long, but the general consensus in the Wagner household was that I was dangerous klutz, more liable to blow up the kitchen than function safely within it. This conviction was supported by my absolute terror of the stove.

But one magical day, one of my sisters convinced me to make some very easy cookies. The cookies requires a top and bottom layer of graham crackers and a gooey caramel filling made from butter, brown sugar, possibly nuts, and maybe graham cracker crumbs. They sounded a bit like these, but with slightly different execution. They were easy and fun to make--and they were the best cookies in the history of man, because I made them.

I still dream about those cookies, but I don't have the recipe for them. I could probably call my mother for the recipe, but since my folks still have dial-up Internet that hogs their phone line, it might be years before I get it. If you have a recipe for them, please direct me to it--or if you have any other super-easy cookie recipes (no-bake, perhaps?), please share. My daughter is learning how to cook. ;)

1 comment:

Kristina L. Martin said...

Graham Cracker Squares

Line a 13x9 pan w/graham crackers. Cover wil the following filling:

1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup milk, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 egg -- mix together and cook over low heat until thick, about 5 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs.

Cover with a layer of whole crackers.

Variations: substitute the crumbs with 1/2 chopped nuts, 1/2 cup coconut & 1/2 cup crumbs.